Seasons Greetings 2022

This now 23-year-long holiday letter tradition seems more appropriate than ever. Here is the premise: Unlike those letters that share extraordinary milestones and celebrations, we’re here to tell you how hard & humiliating life can be. For example, after working for over two years, full time researching and writing, editing and re-writing, I signed a contract with Rowman & Littlefield to publish the “bible” of women’s sports history ONLY to learn that the 315,000-word masterpiece had to be brutally gutted to 150,000 words. I had actual stomach aches over deleting some of the amazing women from history.

            On the subject of books, Kerri (daughter) started a book club for, I believe, the sole purpose of forcing me to read dark, deep brooding stories in which serious contemplation and self-reflection is required. It’s awful. Only because I love fellow members do I stay on. What I didn’t know was that Kerri began writing down things said in jest to hold against us. As it happens, I said something so wildly inappropriate that I cannot print it here and when everyone was asked to guess “who said it,” 100% of the group knew it was me, yet Michelle (sister) says something equally inappropriate and no one knows! This was my childhood!     

            It was Michelle! Michelle said that!            

You know how there are always those spoofs in a movie when there’s a graduation ceremony and a teacher is late, running down the hallways, gets to the big doors and can’t get the door open so she bangs on it, makes a scene rather than actually just pulling instead of pushing the doors open? No? At least Michelle could take solace in knowing the school year was over. But when she went to the pharmacy mid-summer with a full- on migraine in nothing but her pjs and oversized sunglasses (non-prescription so she was legally blind), she heard a voice. “Mom, this is Ms. Powe! Hi, Ms. Powe. Hey, why did you bang on the door like that at graduation?” She still has no idea who was talking to her.

The good thing about being a teacher is the following Fall offers a fresh start which is why, she inexplicably decided that two individuals (there with their own children) were a couple and – long story short – everyone left her room a little confused and very uncomfortable.

I tried my hand at darkening my own eyebrows. Picture Uncle Leo from Seinfeld ... only angrier. This cheered Michelle considerably.


Robb (husband) had to go to the dentist and, for those of you new to this letter, the dentist is a major deal. See http://allredgreetings.blogspot.com/ where Robb’s feelings about dentistry are documented in 2004 and 2012. Most recently, he walked into the kitchen looking agitated. 

Robb: Walk me through what’s gonna happen when I go to the dentist? What do I expect?
Alex: I just told you. He’s gonna look at your tooth.  [for a tooth ache]
Robb: But you didn’t tell me what to expect.
Alex: [sigh] He’s going to check your tooth.
Robb: Yeah. But..
Alex: It’s not like he’s going to sneak up on you. He’s a dentist!
Robb: I wanted to have a check-up and then, when I’m in there I could say ‘oh, and I have this  
           tooth…’ I don’t want them to think I only call when I have an issue.

HE'S A DENTIST! sheeeeesh!

He’s lucky he doesn’t have to see a surgeon. His determination to eat food despite it being bad (“I don’t waste food!” will be on his gravestone) was neatly summed up by Kerri who said, “You don’t have to test all the organs in your body to see if you can handle food! Just because you have an appendix doesn’t mean you have to test it.”

Katie (daughter) decided the way to let us know that she cracked her head open while doing a back flip into a pool at a pool party was to send a text picture of her bloody head from the ER. She had to get staples in her head and had a concussion. But she still managed, when she resurfaced – water instantly turning red as she bled profusely – to ask, “Did I nail it?” to the horrified onlookers.

 Yes, you nailed it.

 Meanwhile, Tommy (son) has made the biggest change this year following in the footsteps of Col. Marc Powe. Tommy joined the Army and – get this – loved bootcamp and the drill sergeants, who were “hilarious!” (Yeah, that’s him up top dressing down Ella’s teddy bear). With such songs as, “My drill sergeant helps me learn, I am just a lowly worm. He commands the sun and rain. I am just a human stain!” drumming through his freshly shaved heard, the boy excelled and is now in Monterey, California at language school.

I fell off a ladder and broke my finger while trying to save my titanium knee; Kerri & Kyle (son-in-law) exist on five hours of baby & toddler sleep; Robb continues to “see” celebrities who aren’t there – pretty sure he has prosopagnosia, a neurological disorder characterized by the inability to recognize faces (which might be why dentists terrify him so much) and, curiously, Remi (blue/red heeler) continues to bark at Robb every morning so loudly that saying ‘good morning’ is pointless. It just now occurs to me that maybe Remi also has prosopagnosia. That explains so much! Both grandbabies got really sick and Michelle and I got COVID with mine turning into Covid pneumonia because I believed, since my symptoms were very mild, I could still go ahead and work out at home. No one needs to say it. I know. I’m an idiot.


            Douglas (other blue/red heeler) continues to have unexplained vomiting that can only be curtailed if I make him rice every morning to coat his tummy, and Michelle ruptured her bicep tendon and partially tore her rotator cuff and continues to endure nightly attacks by one of her cats – she doesn’t know which one because the attacks happen while she’s sleeping. It is unclear if the arm injuries occurred while helplessly batting a cat away in her sleep. (Actually, they are two separate incidents, but I’m going to keep telling people Michelle got into a cat fight and lost. It cheers me considerably).

But this year’s ‘We’re the Allreds; We Do Things the Hard Way’ Award (a family motto and distinction which is recognized by “winning” the holiday letter write-up) goes to Katie.

This summer, Katie ran some errands, purchased some sushi and decided that she would take a shortcut through the state park that is behind her neighborhood because it was summertime in Texas, she had no water and was carrying raw fish. After about 45 minutes, she realized she had no cell coverage and was completely lost. She nibbled on her fish and began to cry when, on the other side of a wall (which could not be climbed) she heard a voice: Are you okay?

Katie screamed back that she wasn’t, she was lost and needed help.  The kindly woman ran back to her home and lobbed a water bottle over the wall which sprung a leak so Katie guzzled it like a hamster on a water feeder until help arrived by way of an annoyed state park worker on a 4-wheeler. Later, Katie returned to the kind woman-turned-hero’s house to offer a ‘thank you’ in the way of homemade muffins which she (Katie) only discovered to be un-edible after she got back home. All of this occurred before her “head injury” in the pool and is almost as embarrassing as 3 yr old Ella mistaking Katie’s boyfriend, Grant, for an old lady dancing on TikTok!

                         Love, the Allred      (pictures below)                               

....as for the women's sports history book, you can pre-order today!

https://rowman.com/ISBN/9781538171349/When-Women-Stood-The-Untold-History-of-Females-Who-Changed-Sports


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Holidays 2023 'The Holiday Lesson'

Christmas 2017